Pages

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Super Hero Taisen Review

Today I decided to watch a mega crossover between Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, and I have to say, it wasn't as bad as I expected, definitely better than Chou Super Hero Taisen. 


The movie is about Captain Marvelous, leader of the Gokaigers, going around the world killing Kamen Riders for some sort of space treasure. Kamen Rider Decade later joins in and begins killing off Super Sentai members. They are the leaders of two newly formed evil organizations, Dai Shocker and Dai Zangyack, each with monsters from both Super Sentai and Kamen Rider as their army.



I don't watch much Super Sentai, only a wee bit of Kyoruger and Kyuranger, but I have seen a quite a lot of Kamen Rider. So I must say if you haven't seen at least the prominent characters' series, such as Gokaiger, Decade, Go-Busters or Den-O, you might be a little bit lost. But I suppose the action scenes are fun and the characters do a nice job of showing off their quirks without you watching the series, and I should know since I haven't seen Gokaiger yet.

I am surprised by the lack of Fourze within this film, since he was the current Kamen Rider at the time. He only appears at the beginning and climax battle where he teams up with the Go-Busters. Instead, we focus on Kaito (Kamen Rider DiEnd), Joe (Gokaiger Blue), Captain Marvelous (Gokaiger Red), Tsukasa (Kamen Rider Decade) Hina (OOO), We get a bunch of cameos from the old series of both franchises such as the GoSeigers, Den-Liner crew and even the first Kamen Rider and Sentai team. I really like the dynamic between Kaito and Joe and how their friendship grows with time. I however felt that Kaito just turning on them on the very end was a bit lame. Sure, the battle was pretty cool and maybe it's in character but I personally wouldn't had written him out to do that.

While there wasn't any part I would say was boring, I wouldn't say there was much memorability either. It's mainly just a giant fight compilation where Riders and Sentai would fight for a bit before some monologue happens and then the next fight happens. But at least some of the fights were entertaining, such as Decade vs. Gokaiger as they have similar powers, the Goseigers lending their cards to the three card themed Kamen Riders; Ryuki, Blade and Decade, Gokaigers becoming OOO's combos, even if it was very brief, as well as the giant robot fight with Fourze lending his signature Rocket Drill Kick. I was especially happy to see the Den-O Imagins come back, I love their dynamic between each other and they're always a joy to have around.

Overall, this movie is a lot of fun, the relationship between Kaito and Joe was pretty neat and was definitely better than Chou Super Hero Taisen. If you're a fan of Kamen Rider and Super Sentai looking for some dumb fun action, check out this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment